Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Unknowingly did Something ill-advised

That's a good alternate name for this blog if you think about it. I went to Northern Ireland.
When making this plan I didn't think twice, but aparantly the war thing that they had going on up there was not that long ago.
V was kind of surprised when I expressed my desire to go there, but they had all the coolest sounding tourist attractions. I can't be blamed if I knew absolutely nothing about Irish history, I'm an American and it's my right to be uneducated!
It turned out that transportation there was a little more difficult than I had imagined (another good alternate title). We arrived in Belfast on a bus that was two hours late, only to find that even if it had been on time we wouldn't have been able to go to the places we wanted anyway (Giant's Causeway and Kereck-a-rede bridge if you wanted to know) because those buses only go once a day. If you're going to visit Northern Ireland I can only recommend renting a car.
It turned out to be a pretty good day anyway though, even though they demanded we switch back to Pounds once we crossed the border. Belfast is a nice and modern city with a lot of history, plus we only saw two policeman armed with automatic weapons (the universal sign of war-torn-nes).
We got a bit lost, however, and wound up in kind of a bad neighborhood while trying to find the obligatory castle. We got back ok, but boy was that a lot of walking. Never found it, so no castle count this time. I can hear you frowning.
We even ate at an American chain restaurant, Maggianos, the first in all of Europe apparently. I exagerate only slightly when I say it was the best food I've eaten since I got here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm loving the pictures! Now if you could respond to the nice message i sent to you on facebook that would be awesome! love you!

Anonymous said...

i had maggiano's for lunch the other day! fun fact: did you know that they're owned by the same conglomerate that owns chili's and macaroni grill? it's true! hopefully the people of europe welcome the uncontrollable growth of these sorts of chains because they multiply like cancer cells.