Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Remember Dublin City?

I sure do because I was there a few weeks ago. Yes, we're finally leaving the Scotland part of the trip and going to Ireland. I hope everyone is excited.
I'll be honest, at first I wasn't (excited). I mean, I had JUST been in Scotland and how different could it be? Ireland felt almost like an afterthought.
I only got excited on the very day we were leaving. It might sound strange and obvious but the reason I got excited was that I remembered that everything Irish came from Ireland.
That includes Bailey's Irish Cream, which is probably my favorite standalone alcoholic beverage and a number of popular beers. Intoxicants aside I remembered that Irish people come from Ireland, and also St. Patrick's Day and Leprechauns. I was really starting to feel the Irish spirit. And I wasn't even drunk yet (does anyone want me to keep track of the drinking=irish jokes?).
Anyway, once we got there it became obvious that I should have been excited from the begining. Ireland is really, really nice. And furthermore Dublin, where we stayed all 4 nights, is a really nice city. I mean, I had just spent about 10 days in Scotland and I was starting to be convinced that nothing that this part of the world could produce could actually feel like livable. But Dublin proved to be a bustling metropolis, friendly and crowded with people.
And it was back to using Euros! Hurray! Everyone loves Euros!
Anyway, what I guess my point is is that I love Ireland. If there's anywhere I've been so far on my trip that I'd actually consider living in, it's there.
Tomorrow we'll go exploring a little bit and maybe I can show you why I liked Ireland so much.

No comments: