Saturday, October 4, 2008

Arthur's Seat

So I've been raving about this landscape for days now, I think it's time to show you some of it. This is Arthur's Seat, a mountain/hill on the outskirts of downtown Edinburgh that I visited and climbed up on my second day here. This is what it looks like from a distance.It's really quite steep.
This is where you start climbing it... if you're a baby!
I went straight up the side instead. It was REALLY steep. AND it had just rained so it was really SLIPPERY. I am such a MAN.
Pictures of the climb up.
Scottish weather follows a strange pattern, it's really beautiful in the morning and then gets totally miserable for the rest of the day at around 12 or 1. This can also sometimes happen in reverse.
These pictures don't really do the job of conveying the size or scope, so just imagine it's really huge (it is!).

And to prove it here are some pictures taken of the city from the top.
This is the Parthenon or the Colosseum or the Leaning Tower of Pisa or something I think.
In the front, that stylish building is the Scottish house of Parliament, in the back that's a cemetery. Someday all the people in the first will be in the second.
The city and it's bay.
And finally Edinburgh Castle and the high city, this is where the king lives...I would imagine
And here are some pictures taken from the top. Wow, look at that landscape!
I love it here, it's a landscape that takes itself really seriously. Those are some rocks that don't mess around. The buildings here are like that too, I have yet to see one that isn't just building-material-gray.
This is the way I came down, running through grasses that came up to my waist.
And eating wild blackberries. This is the best vacation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are beeaauttiful! Makes me think of Brigadoon haha