Monday, November 24, 2008

HAHA Fooled You Guys!

I'm NOT done with all the holocaust stuff.
This delightful architecture is Berlin's Holocaust memorial. It's positively enormous. I went there months ago but I guess I'm getting around to it now.
There's a museum attached but there was a 'no-pictures' policy. At the museum they had a searchable database of those who died, I actually found some of my relatives. The Germans have always been good at classifying and organizing, as we can see above.
This is, I think, the largest memorial in the world. Don't quote me on that, but it is REALLY big. It feels completely cold walking between these stone columns even when it's warm out. Compared to other memorials, it is really good at creating a feeling. There is no thinking, no interpretation involved, just sensation. Really interesting.
The columns themselves are interesting too, the ground they're on is never even and they're all different sizes with slightly varying amounts of space between them. They are kind of reminiscent of coffins or tombstones. Kind of like a cross between those two things.
This is also the day I went to Checkpoint Charlie, one of the border crossing points between east and west Berlin. I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier, but here's the last Soviet flag, lookin pretty stylish.

We'll get back to the present soon, I promise, just want to make sure I don't forget this stuff.

No comments: