Monday, December 15, 2008

So What's so Great about the USA?

I don't know, but there's some appeal there still for me, or else I wouldn't be so excited about getting back. Unlike with Germany these reasons haven't been sitting in my head for the last months so I'll just have to see what I can come up with as I go along. Today's pictures are from my drive from Konstanz to Tuebingen (yes, we're leaving Konstanz now). Stopped on the way there at Insel Reichenau (featuring a church with the oldest murals in the europe or something) and Schloss Hohenzollern.
Well, for one there's costs. Everything is cheaper in the US. I guess this is the benefit of capitalism that is supposed to outweigh the threat of multiple debilitating stock market crashes. Seriously, things are that much cheaper. I can't count the number of times I've walked by a store window and seen things priced at levels that make me wonder if they're not secretly made of solid gold. I once saw a toy store selling an empty cardboard box for 20 euro. What exactly is it that can cause a hammer or a rocking horse or a sweater so expensive? I can only assume it has something to do with the government.
And there's another thing, everything goverment related costs much less. Want to know how much my driver's license cost me? 20 US dollars. The europeans reading this are probably just spilled their herbal teas all over their outdated computers. My passport? Only a little bit more. It's kind of frightening how much they expect you pay in Germany for these things. Anyone want to post what they paid for theirs in the comment section? (I know, this is a perfect example of an American talking about money. Did you guys know this was a stereotype they had about us?)
Speaking of outdated computers, technology doesn't seem to arrive here as quickly. In fact, nothing pop-culture and/or recreational does. Movies, TV shows, songs, technology, even my precious precious video games are all a few months late and at greatly expanded prices. I guess this is why America still matters, we have all the cool stuff.
A different but related point, the rap music is much better in America. There's just no comparison. Sure, Germany can claim to be the death metal champs (if they really want that title), but no one keeps it real or gets it crunk like America. Is there any other culture in the world that would come up with the concept of "making it rain"?
For fun, German Rap Youtubes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQjCtuk2SY (from my girlfriend's hometown, Witten)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49KWQHQ1XFw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nA_uOcEnc (from Berlin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJPq0KN0YYQ (this one has a video!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJHquLENKxM (German attempt at XZibit, if you're only going to watch one watch this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvX_yMxc-8 (These guys are pretty cool and they're from right around here, love this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4trBWTbzPw (at 1994 this must be German first-wave. Also featuring a REAL BLACK PERSON that they've imported from somewhere and oh my god a rapping Turkish Girl at 2:40)
Last time I was comparing I talked about how nice it is that nothing is standardized here. There's another side to that coin however, there is a safety in standardization. When you walk into a starbucks you can be sure that you're getting a good cup of coffee at a large size. I don't really drink coffee so I don't know how good this example is, but bare with me. If you order a coffee in a cafe in Germany you could be getting something the size of shot glass or a normal cup, something so black you can hardly drink it or something so light you can hardly taste it.
I feel like I'm getting really nit-picky now, but these small things add up. No one gives you water in Germany. I've been thirsty almost the whole time I've been here and that's because there are no public water fountains and no free drinks at restaurants. This might not sound much but it really adds up. Even when you do break down and order a water it's usually in a glass that would be called very small by American standards. The entire country must be dehydrated all the time.
And finally, and perhaps most importantly, the diversity of cultures in what I really miss. No matter how much it has strayed from it's origins America is still the melting pot. In Germany people have more or less agreed to one set of expectations, this is what makes much of what is so admirable about Germany possible. However you will never find a more diverse group of people in one country as you will in America. Interactions of culture are no where more complex and even better this is all encouraged.
Overall my explanation of these differences can be (over)simplified down to one point. America is young, Germany is old. America is still trying new things, changing, evolving. It is a living nation and it still has a lot of work ahead of it before it comes to rest with it's own place in the world and in history. The really exciting part of Germany's story is over. I say this not to be insulting, this is a good thing. It allows the country to run really smoothly and for it's people to have unparalleled comfort and security. Contrary to America, no one is saying that Germany is going to stop mattering within the next 10 to 20 years. Perhaps in a five hundred years America will look more like Germany, it's something worth aspiring to.
Castle Count: 10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok so first of all, Mr. Intractable Moron, i showed you THE WORLD'S OLDEST FRESCOS. they are from 1000AD and belong to the unesco world cultural heritage, just like the ruins of babylon, you ignorant.

aside from that, good points again. my driver's license cost me EUR1500. maybe that's why i'm scared of driving. getting it is not that easy either.
a passport isn't much, i don't remember sth between EUR25 and 50. if you travel outside europe, you need a travel passport for another EUR25-50.
as for the pop culture, i was surprised when i came to NY and found that people were listening to the same music there like in europe. because i had assumed that europe must be at least 3 months behind in these things.. that might be true with electronics and games, but not so much with music and movies. of course, not all of america's culture even makes it all the way over to here. and vice versa.

i MISS standardized starbucks coffee. and i'm SAD that the concept of gangsta rap just doesn't translate to germany. the rappers you listed up here, esp. the berlin ghetto boys, are really that stupid, they have to chance to dumb it down for the audience or anything. working class in germany is still lacking a voice you don't have to turn off after max. 30sec.